Ceramic manufacture in Gmunden can look back on a rich tradition – “Gmunden ceramics“ is still a byword today for outstanding craftsmanship and quality. The Steingutfabrik AG Gmunden-Engelhof was founded here in 1924. Together with the Wilhelmsburg factory, the company changed its name in 1960 to Österreichische Sanitär-, Keramik- und Porzellan-Industrie Aktiengesellschaft (ÖSPAG). In 1967 the Keramik Holding AG Laufen acquired a majority shareholding, and in1999 LAUFEN became part of the Spanish ROCA Group.
Bathroom ceramics from Gmunden are primarily characterised by their outstanding quality that is certified to the international ISO 9001 and fulfils all technical test standards (EN). The factory specialises mainly in the manufacture of intricate ceramic elements. Environmental protection also plays a key role, LAUFEN Austria AG is certified to ISO 14001 and assessed according to the provisions of the EMAS regulation. LAUFEN Austria AG was awarded the EMAS Environment Prize 2007 for its outstanding environmental achievements.